The Parent Teacher Association (PTA)’s mission is to make every child’s potential a reality by engaging and empowering families and communities to advocate for all children at PS/IS 499.
Who are the PTA members?
All parents and guardians of PS/IS 499 students are automatically members of the PTA! Membership is completely free and all parents are welcome to volunteer in making their child’s school experience amazing. You can make a difference in your child’s education and we encourage you to be the change you want to see in our school community!
What does the PTA do?
- We work to support the school’s mission to provide excellent learning opportunities for our children.
- We build strong relationships among parents, teachers and the school, in support of students.
- We build community through parental involvement, fundraising and program support.
What are the responsibilities of the PTA Executive Board officers?
The Executive Board meets regularly to serve as liaison between the Association and the Principal. We represent the concerns of the PTA general body and aim to bring excellence to both the school and our school community. See descriptions for executive board roles (PDF).
Who is on the PTA Executive Board?
Meet the PTA Executive Board officers.
PTA Bylaws and Regulation of the Chancellor of the NYC DOE
- PTA Bylaws (PDF)
- Regulation of the Chancellor A-660 (PDF)
School Leadership Team (SLT)
What is the School Leadership Team (SLT)?
The School Leadership Team is a group of people who develop educational policies for their school. They also make sure there are resources to support those policies.
What does the SLT do?
- Provide ongoing evaluations of a school’s educational programs and their impact on student achievement.
- Play an important role in school-based decision-making.
- Help to make school cultures more collaborative.
Who are the SLT members?
There are three members of the school community who must be members of the SLT:
- Parent Association/Parent-Teacher Association President
- United Federation of Teachers Chapter Leader
The other members are elected parents and staff members. The SLT must have an equal number of parents and staff.